Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

'Twas The Night Before Adjournment...




By Brandon Hall 

(Email him at WestMiPolitics@Gmail.com)


'Twas the night before adjournment, when all through the People's House, creatures were stirring, they were stirring about...

The votes were whipped ferociously with care, in hopes road funding and other special interest goodies would soon be there!

Michiganders were nestled all snug in their beds, While visions of playoff-bound Lions danced in their heads... 

Mama in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap, Had just settled our brains for a long night's nap...When over in Lansing there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter!

Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash... 

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, But a lame duck legislature with some new taxes to start the new year!

With LG Calley, so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be St. Rick! 

More rapid than eagles, his coursers they came, And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name! 

"Now Whitmer, Now Meekhof, Now Bolger, and Haveman! On Price, On Warren, On Walker, and Hanson!"

To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall! Now vote away! vote away! Vote away ,all!" 

So away their responsibility as legislators flew, with a package full of goodies, and tax increases headed for YOU.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around, Down the chimney St Rick came with a bound! 

A bundle of Public Acts he had flung on his back, And he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack... 

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head, Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread... But I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight... "Happy ClusterDuck to all, and to all a good-night!"

_________________________________________________________________________
Brandon Hall is a lifelong political nerd from Grand Haven, and is the Managing Editor of West Michigan Politics.
Email him at WestMiPolitics@Gmail.com
:)
Photo By Darlene Dowling Thompson


1 comment: