Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Precinct Delegate Considers Lawsuit Against Ottawa GOP, State Sen. Arlan Meekhof

An Ottawa County GOP Precinct Delegate tells WMP he is mulling legal action over what happened at the Ottawa County GOP Convention and the subsequent aftermath that led to the firing of Ottawa County GOP Exec. Director Faith Steketee.

The delegate, who wishes to remain anonymous at this time, is frustrated with the lack of an investigation into what occurred.

He emailed WMP because "your blog has been the only media outlet trying to tell people what really happened." A conversation then ensued.


The delegate is considering a lawsuit against the Ottawa County Republican Party and State Sen. Arlan Meekhof.

"The Executive Committee doesn't care what really happened. If they did, they wouldn't have voted 14-12 to stop (an investigation) from taking place. They claim they have made changes so that it won't happen again, but how can we really prevent it in the future if we don't really know what happened the first time?"

Meekhof's admission that he commissioned the "orange flyer" places special scrutiny on him, according to the delegate.

"Almost all the people on that flyer made it as delegates, that is not a coincidence."

Ottawa County GOP Executive Director Faith Steketee was blamed, and she was subsequently fired.

"They say it's all (Faith's) fault. She didn't benefit from this in any way known to me. I want to see proof she did something wrong."

The delegate believes a lawsuit may be the only way to reveal the truth.

"I have spoken to a lawyer, and I have standing (the ability to file a lawsuit), I just don't know if it is worth the repercussions from (the Ottawa County GOP "Establishment").  I don't want to be on their blacklist...but I want to know the truth."

The delegate worries the incident will dissuade future volunteers.

"I ran to be a precinct delegate so I could help my party, and I wanted to learn more about politics. I am pretty appalled at what I have seen so far. We have too many good Republicans out there to let people like this ruin things for guys like me who are just trying to help."

1 comment:

  1. What law does this guy cite? How does he have standing?

    ReplyDelete